Your support matters
Please consider a donation to the
Shelby County Historical Society, Inc.
Join our organization
Become a part history by joining us today
The Shelby County Historical Society, Inc., is a 501(c)3 Non-Profit Organization, is dedicated to the discovery, collection, and preservation of all things related to the history of Shelby County Alabama; to the encouragement, promotion, and sponsorship of historical research and the public dissemination of that research; to the acquisition of physical artifacts and documents and provision of their public display; and to the presentation of educational programs and other activities for our citizens and visitors about our past history and our heritage.
Our Mission. . .
The Shelby County Historical Society maintains its offices inside the Old 1854 Courthouse located in the county seat of Columbiana, Alabama. The courthouse has been designated a historic landmark by the National Register of Historic Places and is on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. The building houses a museum containing artifacts that reflect the county's history. There is also an archive containing a large collection of research materials, including many old Shelby County record books and loose papers. A patron library with research books and patron computers is available to the public.